Friday, May 6, 2022

Age of Victoria Part Four -Industrial Revolution/Inventions 1867-1901

A version of Mucha's Zodiac calendar that he did for La Plume in 1897.

Victorian Age Inventions 1867-1901


1867- Karl Marx, Das Kapital. I/P Dynamite (TNT)
1868- I/P Traffic Light, Tungsten Steel, Typewriter
1869- Suez Canal completed. Transcontinental Railroad completed, 1st college football game-Rutgers 6 vs Princeton 4.
1870- Jules Verne, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I/P Stock Ticker
1871- Proclamation of the German Empire at Versailles.  Darwin, Descent of Man(Text). 
1873- Ashanti Revolt. I/P Barbed Wire
1874- Benjamin Disraeli becomes the Conservative PM. Britain annexes Fiji Islands.
1875- Britain takes control of Suez Canal, creating a British protectorate over Egypt. Dakota gold find.
1876- Victoria proclaimed Empress of India. Belgium claims the African Congo, USA Centennial.  I/P-Telephone, Carpet Sweeper, National League (Baseball) founded
1877- Reconstruction ends. I/P Recorded Sound, Moving Pictures
1878-79- 2nd British-Afghan War.
1879- Zulu War. I/P Lightbulb 
1880- France claims Tunis. 1st Boer War. I/P Toilet Paper, Seismograph
Art Nouveau style appears
188-2 France took control of Algeria & claimed French Somaliland. American Chinese Exclusion Act. I/P Metal Detector, Standard Time Zones 
1884- Sudan Mahdi War. Mark Twain, Huckleberry Finn (Text). I/P Rayon, Steam Turbine, Cash Register, Fountain Pen, Maxim Machinegun 
1884-1885- Germany established a protectorate over Southwest Africa, Togoland, Cameroons and East Africa. Britain claimed British Somaliland.
1885- Berlin Conference-Bismarck established “ground rules” for dividing Africa. 3rd Burma War. I/P Automobile, Rabies Vaccine
1886- Britain made Burma a province of India after winning the 3rd Anglo-Burma War.  Haymarket Riot, American Federation of Labor formed. I/P Dishwasher, Coca-Cola
1887- Britain claimed Nigeria. I/P Contact Lenses
1888- Kaiser Wilhelm II ascended to the throne of the German Empire. I/P Drinking Straw
1889- Italy claimed Italian Somaliland, Britain claimed Northern and Southern Rhodesia’s. I/P Cordite
1890- Kaiser Wilhelm II “retires” Otto von Bismarck, Britain established the colony of Uganda, Sherman Anti-trust Act.
1891- I/P Naismith creates Basketball at Springfield College Mass.
1892- I/P Reliable Internal Combustion Engine, Escalator
1893- France took Laos, with Cambodia & Vietnam the area is called French Indo-China. I/P Zipper
1894- Britain claims Zimbabwe. Sino-Japanese War, Japan took Taiwan from China and became a European style colonial power.
1895- Britain established the colony of Kenya, 1st Italian-Abyssinian War. I/P X-Rays
1896- Klondike Gold Rush
1896-99- English Sudanese War, England claims the entire Sudan.
1898- Britain obtains a 99-year lease for Hong Kong from China. Spanish American War-US “liberates” Cuba, takes Puerto Rico, Guam & Philippines. US annexes Hawaii. Fashoda Incident-France and Britain divide all unclaimed North Africa. H.G. Wells, War of the Worlds. I/P Rollercoaster 
1899-1902- 2nd Boer War, Britain invents the concentration camp.
1899- 'Open Door Policy' in the Far East, 1st Hague Peace Conference. US annexes Wake Island. Freud, Interpretations of Dreams. I/P Vacuum Cleaner
1900- Boxer Rebellion-united armies of Europe & Japan crush the Chinese, capturing & looting Peking. US annexes American Samoa. I/P Zeppelin, Tractor
1901- Death of Victoria age 81. Aside from Ethiopia, Japan, Persia, Siam and parts of China the entire world is under European control. I/P Safety Razor, Radio Receiver

By 1910, Queen Victoria’s grandchildren were on the thrones of the following states:
Wilhem II, Kaiser of the German Empire, George V King of Great Britain, Emperor of India, Nikolai II Aleksandrovich, Tsar of All the Russia's, Maud Queen Consort of King Haakon VII of Norway, Sophie, Queen Consort of King Konstantinos I of the Hellenes, Marie, Queen Consort of King Ferdinand I of Romania, Victoria Eugenie, Queen Consort of King Alfonso XIII of Spain 

In addition, other grandchildren held the following major royal ranks:
11 were titled prince, 2 were titled princess royal, 8 were titled princess, 2 were titled Grand Duchess, 1 was titled Grand Duke, 2 were titled Duke, 1 was titled Countess and 2 were titled Marquess.
 I/P- Inventions/Patents

No comments:

Post a Comment